The Project Assistant will support UNFPA Country Office North Macedonia in the administrative and financial processes and operations related to the implementation of the youth component of the Annual Work Plan(s) of the office, primarily focusing on the regional youth project “Strengthening the role of youth in promoting increased mutual understanding, constructive narrative, respect for diversity, and trust in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Serbia, and Kosovo”, funded by the Peace Building Fund (PBF). The project focuses on partnering with young men and women to address divisive narratives and hate speech to enhance social cohesion in the region and to increase inter-group dialogue, mutual understanding and gender equality. The project is funded by PBF and jointly implemented at national level in North Macedonia by UNFPA and UNDP.
Furthermore, the Project Assistant will support the administrative and financial processes and operations related to the implementation of other activities related to youth, as envisaged with the Country Programme Document for 2021-2025, such as advocacy for increased youth engagement at local level, and scaling up access to Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE).
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
 All references to Kosovo shall be understood to be in the context of Security Council resolution 1244 (1999).
Devoirs et responsabilités
You will work with the UNFPA team contributing to increased youth engagement, youth empowerment, meaningful participation and strengthening of youth dialogue platforms, as well as to a series of peace building initiatives, with counterparts from both central and local levels.
You will contribute to strengthened cooperation between regional, public media and local youth media networks and engage with young social media influencers on developing and promoting youth content to address divisive narratives, hate speech, masculinities and gender norms and equality.
Furthermore, you will support the scaling up of access to CSE by working with diverse group of stakeholders (teachers, parents, students, local authorities, government entities and academia).
Under the direct supervision of the SRH/Youth Programme Analyst, and overall guidance of the Head of Office, you will be responsible for:
Supporting the implementation of the UNFPA North Macedonia component of the regional youth project funded by the PBF, and the youth component of the Country Programme:
- Contribute to successful project/programme implementation, monitoring and reporting, by performing the administrative and financial operations and processes, in line with the UNFPA Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Assist the engagement of individual consultants (collecting relevant documents, maintaining files, preparing relevant forms/templates, etc).
- Support the organization of project events (selection of venue, preparing meeting minutes, assisting in the development of relevant background materials, presentations, concept notes and proposals).
- Assist with the preparation and revision of project work plans and budgets in consultation with relevant focal points.
- Support the monitoring and reporting processes, by following up on budget utilization/implementation.
- Support the procurement of goods and services, logistics requirements and payments, in accordance with UNFPA Procurement Procedures.
- Support the preparation of periodic narrative and financial reports for various donor reports, as well as the organization of various meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Assist in organizing public events and actively participate in UNFPA activities organized or developed in the country.
- Maintaining electronic and hard copy records related to the project/programme implementation.
- Assist in implementing knowledge management strategies to capture lessons learned and best practices and sharing them with the management for future planning.
- Any other related tasks as may be required.
Qualifications et expériences requises
Completed Secondary Level Education required. First level university degree is a strong asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme administration and financial management.
- Admin/Fin experience with UN or other international development organizations, or experience in projects in areas related to youth issues is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Previous experience with Atlas/PeopleSoft or other ERP application is an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and writing skills) in English.
- Teamwork, facilitation skills and interpersonal skills in working with counterparts of various background.
Fluency in Macedonian and English is required. Knowledge of other local languages shall be considered an asset.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm
In accordance with the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations, persons applying to posts in the international Professional category, who hold permanent resident status in a country other than their country of nationality, may be required to renounce such status upon their appointment.