UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Strategic Planning Unit (SPU) within the Strategy, Planning, Resources and Effectiveness Division (SPRED) focuses on assisting UN Women and partners to achieve higher quality development results through an integrated approach that links strategic planning and Results-Based Management (RBM) with more effective and new ways of working. The SPU is the custodian of RBM as well as field and HQ level strategic planning and results-based reporting in UN Women. The SPU provides quality assurance on strategic planning and results reporting exercises at the corporate and field levels. It takes a collaborative approach to strategic planning and programmatic learning, creating space for innovation and enabling UN Women and its partners to be more effective, knowledge and data-driven, and driving higher quality UN Women programming. It is also charged with engagement on all planning inter-agency initiatives. SPU is also the leading unit as business owner for UN Women results management systems to support strategic planning and results-based monitoring and reporting processes as well as data aggregation and analysis to communicate on results with stakeholders.
Under the supervision of the Programme Analyst, the intern will support the development of the Policy, Procedure and Guidance (PPG) of Planning, Monitoring and Reporting (PMR). The intern will also support with Country Offices (COs), Regional Offices (ROs) and Headquarter (HQ) Divisions/Independent Offices implementation of the interim guidance documents that are already available.
Devoirs et responsabilités
- Assist in consolidating supporting documents for planning, monitoring and reporting for COs, ROs and HQ based on previous guidance documents;
- Support the development of presentation slides for the PPG internal working group discussions;
- Assist with consolidating, responding and incorporating consultations and feedback on draft procedures and supporting documents;
- Schedule internal meetings and events, such as consultations and webinars, and coordinate with participants to ensure attendance;
- Assist with researching/identification of best practices for planning, monitoring and reporting and incorporating findings into the procedures and supporting documents;
- Assist with updating the risk analysis matrix based on the action points advised by the business process specialist for the planning, monitoring, and reporting procedures;
- Assist in developing communication material, as needed, for training, webinars and knowledge-sharing platforms on the UN Women planning, monitoring, or reporting procedures;
- Assist with COs, ROs and HQs implementation of planning, monitoring and reporting interim guidance documents by drafting emails, attending meetings, drafting meeting notes, following up on pending meeting actions and providing quality assurance.
- Perform other tasks as necessary.
In addition, the intern will have the following learning opportunities:
- The selected intern will be provided with hands-on learning opportunities to work in the area of policies and procedures, knowledge management and business administration;
- The selected intern will gain exposure to the UN Women organization and have the opportunity to contribute to the development of the procedure and guidance function;
The intern will be provided with networking opportunities and participate in workshops/ seminars for broader learning purposes.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Strong analytical, administrative and research skills
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills: able to communicate clearly and concisely and to translate complex topics into simple language for a general audience;
- Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills: able to listen and collaborate with a wide range of colleagues; able to work independently, be proactive and take initiative;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong IT skills (experience of web content management systems is an asset);
- Familiarity with gender issues and the UN system is an asset.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: research, knowledge management, business administration, business management, law, risk management or other relevant subjects is required.
- Meet one of the following:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent);
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation; or
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
- All applicants must submit a completed and signed P.11 form with their application.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, UN Women can ONLY contact successful candidates.
- The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of enrollment in a valid health insurance plan at the duty station of the internship, proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID and a copy of a valid visa (as applicable).
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)