UN Women, the United Nations gender equality and women’s empowerment entity, is an active advocate and advocate for women and girls globally. «UN Women» assists UN Member States in setting international norms and standards for achieving gender equality, cooperates with governments and civil society in developing laws, policy approaches, The programmes and services required to implement these standards.
«UN Women» together with the National Commission on Women’s Affairs and Family and Demographic Policy under the Office of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter referred to as the National Commission) and the Ministry of Information and Social Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinaugural) Implements the related grant «Assistance to Kazakhstan in the implementation of the Concept of Family and Gender Policy, in terms of ensuring gender equality and empowerment of all women and girls in Kazakhstan and overcoming the consequences of the COVID-19 crisis» for the period 2022-2023.
The aim of the project is to assist Kazakhstan to implement the Concept of Family and Gender Policy, to ensure gender equality and empowerment of all women and girls in Kazakhstan and to overcome the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.
In 2016, the Presidential Decree approved the Concept of Family and Gender Policy of the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2030. The concept defines the basic principles and approaches in the formation of the country’s family and gender policy. The stated objectives of the State gender policy are to achieve the equal rights, benefits, duties and opportunities of men and women in all spheres of society, and to overcome all forms and manifestations of gender-based discrimination. In order to achieve the goal of the State Family and Gender Policy, it is necessary to achieve the objective of improving the legislation in the field of gender and family policy, as well as its harmonization with international standards, UN, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) recommendations.
Kazakhstan plans to prepare an application for OECD membership in 2025. The main goal of this step is to improve the standard of living and well-being of the citizens of Kazakhstan, development of the country as a whole, applying OECD standards. «UN-Women» in order to activate and create a condition for Kazakhstan’s accession to the OECD plans to provide expert support to the Government of Kazakhstan regarding the implementation and achievement of OECD recommendations, in particular, and the OECD Social Institutions and Gender Equality Index (SIGI).
On January 15, 2016, the Republic of Kazakhstan joined the Recommendation of the Council on Gender Equality in the Field of Education, Employment and Entrepreneurship of the Committee on Employment, Labour and Social Issues (Invited status). In 2017, the OECD review on public administration «Implementation of Gender Policy in Kazakhstan» was published.
At present, the Republic of Kazakhstan has begun work on joining the OECD. In this regard, under the related grant, it is planned to provide expert support to the Government of Kazakhstan to achieve OECD standards in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
«UN Women» in Kazakhstan together with the Ministry and the National Commission plans to hire a national consultant, which will analyse Kazakhstan’s achievement of OECD standards in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment and develop recommendations for achieving OECD standards on gender equality.
The national consultant is expected to assess Kazakhstan’s achievement of OECD standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women, taking into account international experience provided by an international consultant, develop recommendations for further implementation of OECD standards, as well as recommendations for monitoring the implementation of temporary special measures for gender equality and assessing their impact (monitoring rules).
The objective of this assignment is to engage a national consultant to analyse Kazakhstan’s achievement of OECD standards in the area of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The results will form the basis of the Plan for Further Action to Achieve OECD Standards on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. As well as the rules for monitoring the implementation of temporary special measures for gender equality and assessing their impact.
Devoirs et responsabilités
The national consultant will work closely with the international consultant.
The tasks of the National Adviser will be as follows:
1. Development of a project workplan with timelines and responsibility and presentation to national partners;
2. Provision of expert and technical support to an international consultant to examine OECD standards and recommendations in the area of gender equality and the empowerment of women through analysis of national legislation on family and gender policies; and other applicable law.
3. Assistance to an international consultant in analysing and assessing the current situation with regard to Kazakhstan’s achievement of OECD standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
4. Development of a road map (national action plan with timetables and responsible actors) for the implementation of recommendations for the implementation of standards and recommendations for the further integration of Kazakhstan into OECD;
5. Study of the implementation of temporary special measures to ensure gender equality in Kazakhstan, together with an international consultant, development of draft rules for monitoring their implementation and assessing their impact;
6. Preparation of the final report and presentation of the results of the work done.
The National Consultant is expected to work as project manager of «UN Women». All results must be submitted and approved by the Entity «UN Women» in agreement with the Ministry.
Gender awareness and sensitivity;
Interaction with stakeholders;
Follow this link for more information on the core values and competencies of the United Nations Women’s Network: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headers/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN Women-and-competencies-pdf framework.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Higher education in political science and international relations, education and pedagogy, law/jurisprudence, gender sciences, economic/social sciences or related fields.
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience, within OECD or in cooperation with OECD;
- Experience in working with UN agencies or other international organizations (knowledge of OECD standards is mandatory), as well as with public bodies in the field of gender policy (attach a copy of supporting materials or provide a link to the site where the document can be viewed).
- Excellent written and oral skills of English and Russian are required;
- Excellent written and oral skills of the Kazakh language will be an advantage.