UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Established in December 2012, the UN Women Country Office for Jordan works in close collaboration with the Government of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the UN Country Team and the Civil Society to advance the women’s national agenda, promote women’s empowerment and gender equality. Supporting the achievement of its strategic and programmatic objectives, the Country Office develops and executes on a regular basis goal oriented communication strategies and advocacy campaigns, mobilizing key constituencies, including the youth, to sustain priority areas of interventions under its Strategic Note 2018-2022.
Reporting to the Partnerships and Advocacy Analyst, the Youth and Advocacy Specialist is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the youth, the media and the public.
The Youth and Advocacy Specialist works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Country, Regional, and HQs communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, youth movements, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Devoirs et responsabilités
1. Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes, donor reports and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to the CO;
- Identify storylines for publication and articles, and review outreach content in Arabic;
- Provide inputs and support to the launch of in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events.
2. Support the design, implementation and assessment of national and corporate advocacy campaigns
- Support the preparations of events and outreach efforts in commemoration of relevant international days (International Women’s Day, World Refugee Day, UN Day, etc), including in partnership with UN agencies and relevant national stakeholders;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of key advocacy campaigns, such as the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence and the HeforShe movement, mobilizing youth and civil society constituencies;
- Provide support to the programme team in designing and implementing targeted advocacy campaigns in line with programmatic priority areas of intervention.
3. Build and maintain partnerships with national actors, including youth constituencies
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, national institutions and youth groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated;
- Coordinate the translation, adaptation, or rewriting of information received for the local context; disseminate materials to appropriate stakeholders.
4. Coordinate media relations for the CO
- Serve as a focal point on UN Women activities open to the press, as necessary;
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships with national media partners;
- Maintain a list of relevant media in country;
- Disseminate press releases and media kits and prepare media clips for reporting purposes;
- Respond to request for information and arrange interviews, as delegated.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of national events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
Functional Comptencies :
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Qualifications et expériences requises
Education and certification:
- A first-level university degree is required in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience.
- At least 5 years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in mobilizing youth constituencies.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.