Enhancing Access to Justice through Institutional Reform Project-II (A2J-II) implemented under Nationally Implemented Modality (NIM) is the second phase of the Access to Justice project closed in 2021. Under the overall leadership of the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs (MOLJPA), the project will be implemented jointly and in a close partnership with UNDP Nepal.
The A2J Project II aims to enhance access to justice for women and other marginalized communities by strengthening the integrated legal aid services and criminal justice system in Nepal. Furthermore, the project focuses mainly on supporting the implementation of integrated legal aid frameworks by establishing necessary frameworks to deliver justice at the local level, strengthening justice sector institutions to provide effective remedies to protect and promote the rights of women and marginalized groups as per the national and international commitment and empower women, and other marginalized groups, in particular Dalit, PWD, LGBTIQ + and Poor ones to claim their rights and participate in judicial governance/civic life.
The project will be implemented in close coordination and partnership with government stakeholders at the federal, provincial, and local levels. The Attorney General Office, Justice sector actors, Nepal Bar, Province, and Local Governments including Judicial Committees will be the partners to work in a coordinated manner to achieve the overall goals of the project.
The Project aims to be implemented in four provinces namely, Sudurpaschim, Karnali, Province No.2, and Province N0. 1. The districts and local levels will be selected through a rapid mapping exercise.
The Project Management Specialist who will be working under the guidance and supervision of the National Project Manager will provide the necessary support to the project to plan, implement, monitor, and report on program activities carried out under the Project.
The incumbent is expected to spend a significant proportion of his/her time in implementing the project activities in close coordination with all the project stakeholders from federal to provincial and local levels. He/she should also be responsible to ensure results-based management (RBM) into the whole program cycle from planning and reporting.
Deberes y responsabilidades
The overall responsibilities of the assignments are to:
- Provide support for effective and smooth project management and implementation.
- Support and provide backstopping support for the overall compliance of the rules/regulations and ensure quality products.
- Contribute to establishing and strengthening the coordination with stakeholders and project clients.
- Provide support for continued monitoring for smooth delivery of the project and result-based reporting.
- Support to mainstream gender and social inclusion and accountability.
1. Provide support for the effective and smooth project management and implementation
- Support in the preparation of annual and quarterly work plans, quarterly reports, and progress reports as per the corporate requirements;
- Assist the NPM in effective implementation of the project activities in consultation with the MoLJPA, implementing partners, provincial and local government, and other stakeholders;
- Support in ensuring project governance and compliance such as PEB, annual review reflection, staff meetings, audits, and spot checks;
- Conduct review and reflection meetings with implementing partners, staffs, and other stakeholders and document lessons and good practices;
- Provide management support to implementing partners and project stakeholders; and
- Provide all administrative and logistic supports in expediting the procurement and recruitment of the short-term expertise.
2. Support and provide backstopping support for the overall compliance of the rules/regulations and ensure quality products
- Provide necessary support to make sure the certain level of quality of the project's products, consultants'/partners reports, works etc.;
- Conduct oversight to implementing partners reflects partners' learnings and good practices in the project implementation, monitoring evaluation;
- Ensure effective implementation of policies and guidelines developed through the support of the project;
- Prepare terms of reference and request for proposals (RFP) for sub-contractors and consultants and ensure timely procurement of goods and services;
- Prepare effective internal and external correspondence on project-related issues;
- Strategically communicate projects knowledge products, learning, and practice for policy and system reform; and
- Assist NPM in critical decision-making through the supply of evidence, documents, information, and analysis.
3. Contribute to establishing and strengthening the s coordination with stakeholders and project clients
- Support NPM and project team in monitoring the progress of the project implementation Strengthen the coordination and collaboration with the MoLJPA, other partners, provincial and local government, and stakeholders including CSOs for delivery of project outputs in a timely and efficient manner;
- Provide overall strategic advice and guidance to the implementing partners and stakeholders in the area of the project's concerns;
- Identify technical and capacity development needs of implementing partners in a participatory approach and reflect in the planning cycle;
- Clearly communicate with the partners and stakeholders about the project scope, priorities, limitation, and compliance; and
- Provide technical assistance and inputs to Implementing partners and stakeholders in planning, implementation, and reporting;
- Ensure regular sharing of knowledge products and progress updates to NPM, NPD, UNDP, and implementing partners in the areas of governance and law, including good practices from project implementation.
4. Provide support for continued monitoring for smooth delivery of the project and result-based reporting;
- Develop/strengthen project result tracking system, monitoring, and evaluation framework in consultation with M&E officer;
- Continue to follow up for the timely delivery of the targets/results by devising necessary systems;
- Lead to draft progress reports (monthly quarterly, yearly) with a high level of accuracy of project results;
- Develop innovative templates for easy and quick reporting with minimal supervision; and
- Develop milestones of the staff in consultation with them and facilitate necessary support (logistic, coaching, mentoring etc.) to achieve the milestones.
5. Support mainstream gender and social inclusion and accountability
- Integrate GESI in the overall project cycle management;
- Ensure that all activities carried out under the project are compliant with international human rights standards, are human rights friendly, non-discriminatory, and promote social inclusion and gender equality;
- Ensure GESI friendly work environment in the office including field activities;
- Contribute to integrated GESI aspect from planning and reporting of the projects;
- Adopt an innovative approach to roll out for GESI;
- Work to promote the Good Governance principles of accountability, transparency, participation, non-discrimination, and efficiency;
- Link good governance principles with the implementation for the adoption of local policies and/or regulations;
- Ensure integrity in day to day functions;
- Induct staff, implementing partners and stakeholders on integrity, accountability, and good governance; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned by NPM.
IV. Impact of Results
- The legal aid system is strengthened and made readily available for women, people with disability, and marginalized people at the provincial level
- Coordination and collaboration between all the justice sector stakeholders for the effective functioning of the legal aid system is ensured
- Gender and social inclusion are mainstreamed into planning and programming at the province level and strengthen legal aid outreach for women
- Demonstrated high moral integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards, sound political judgment as well as diplomacy, impartiality and discretion, and proven capacity of initiative, discretion, and leadership.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity.
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent understanding of approach legal and justice sector in Nepal
- Strong program formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation skills;
- Strong knowledge of Results-Based Management, project cycle management
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Good understanding of Nepal's governance system, laws, bureaucracy especially justice sector actors
- Ability to adapt to flexible and fluid situations
- Ability to write high-quality reports and project documents
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead the formulation, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the human rights projects.
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/attitudinal change.
- Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client, and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Effective communications skills and ability to establish good working relationships with national and international interlocutors.
- Demonstrated openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a politically sensitive, fast-paced environment with a minimum of comfort.
- Ability to travel under harsh conditions within the country whenever required.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Advanced University degree from a recognized university in management/social science, law, business, and administration including other disciplines;
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in program or project planning, management, coordination as well as reporting
- Prior experience of managing the multi-donor project;
- Significant experience in the design and/or implementation of development programs
- Exceptional analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Demonstrated skills in preparing high-quality reports
- Experience of working with the government and UNDP and other international agencies will be an added advantage;
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and oral, at a professional level is essential;
- Knowledge of any of the local languages will be an added advantage.