Through the Liaison office to AU and ECA, UN Women provides technical support to member states, the AU Commission and ECA in the adoption, implementation and monitoring of commitments on gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) at the regional level, and in accordance with its mandate. In the context of its partnership with the AUC for the implementation of the Women, Peace and Security agenda, the UN Women Liaison to the AU and UNECA works closely with the Office of the Special Envoy of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission (OSE).
Since 2019, AUC-OSE and UN Women forged joint advocacy activities towards the accelerated implementation and monitoring of UNSCR 1325 National Action Plans and GEWE commitments broadly in AU Member States towards accelerated implementation and monitoring of UNSCR1325 National Action Plans and GEWE commitments broadly in AU Member States. In addition to that, OSE activities are cantered on the necessity to accelerate the implementation of the Women, Peace and Security Agenda in Africa and the empowerment of women to contribute to Africa Agenda for transformation. These include supporting Member States to produce their annual reports on the implementation of the WPS Agenda, using the Continental Results Framework (CRF) and the support to the African Women Leaders Network (AWLN.
In 2022 too, with support from the Irish Aid, the partners propose to sustain the efforts through strategic policy advocacy, networking and communication related activities. Some of these include the AWLN intergenerational dialogue (December 2022), the Positive Masculinity Forum (November 2022), Africa Pre-CSW 67 consultative process (November 2022) AU Heads of States summit related side events (January 2022), CSW 67 New York (March 2022).
In this regard, UN Women proposes to recruit an Operations Associate to support the Office of the Special Envoy on WPS to implement key activities between October - March 2022 through the management of administration, finances and logistics.
Deberes y responsabilidades
The Operation Associate consultant will be required to undertake the following:
Support planning and coordination
- Assist the Chief of Staff to prepare the Office work plan and monitor its implementation;
- Support the OSE in the preparation and roll out of consultative meetings, workshops, conferences and other work associated events;
Administrative and financial management
- Manage and update Office database of WPS stakeholders and Office records and archive systems;
- Support the chief of staff in the preparation of budget requests for approval by the Chairperson of the Commission;
- Follow up requests made to various AU administrative service departments/ units (AHRM, PBFA, PS Finance, Protocol, etc.…);
- Prepare reimbursements claims for OSE workshop/events participants in line with AU Procedures;
- Prepare financial reports for conferences/workshops/ etc.., conducted by the Office
- Assist the office to coordinate activities related to office maintenance, IT, security, Transport and similar services;
- Liaise with relevant department for supply of stationary, office equipment and consumables.
- Carry out any other work-related activities as may be required by the Special Envoy and or the chief of Staff
- Respect for Diversity
- Awarness and senstivity regarding Gender issues
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Be holders of a M’s degree in administration, Management, Finance or related field from a recognized university.
- A bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience would be considered. Working experience in Administration, Finance and Operations position will constitute an advantage
- Experience of working on similar or comparable assignments, and knowledge of international/regional institutions such as African Union and ECA desired.
- The consultant is required to be computer literate and well versed in the use of the Excel, Word, Publisher, and Power Point. A knowledge of accounting package will be an advantage. In addition, he/she will have excellent writing, analytical and communication skills.
- Proficiency in English and French is a requirement.
All applications must include (as an attachment) a completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided?on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)