The UN Secretary-General established the UN SDG Action Campaign to inspire people and organizations from all backgrounds and every part of the world to take actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, while holding decision-makers to account for progress society-wide. The UN SDG Action Campaign is hosted and supported by UNDP and is based in Bonn (Germany) with a lean team that marshals rapid support for new initiatives as opportunities arise and provides partners with on-demand strategic creative services that inspire local SDG action.
The UN SDG Action Campaign is working closely with cities and local governments to showcase how they are actively contributing to implement Agenda 2030, accelerating transformative action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals for all, and everywhere.
Within this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Planning and Capacity Development Analyst to maximize UNDP efforts to support local and regional governments innovating SDG local action.
Local and regional governments are already responsible of over 65% of the SDG targets, most of them linked to basic service provision from water, sanitation, mobility, climate action, health or education. Cities and territories are playing a big part on the implementation of SDGs, that are becoming a new tool for strategic planning and budgeting in the mid to long-term. The planning and capacity development analyst will support UNDP Country Office working with municipalities around the world to exchange experiences, generate knowledge about the latest local development trends and collect data about city innovation to upscale and replicate such innovations. The Analyst will also ensure that the experience generated by the Global Mayors Challenge is shared, upscaled and communicate worldwide.
Deberes y responsabilidades
The Planning and Capacity Development Analyst will provide support in the following areas:
- Analyse project data and link with SDG targets and Agenda 2030 narrative.
- Organize exchange of experiences amongst participating local governments and partners.
- Provide technical support to the Global Mayors Challenge in designing training activities.
- Design training and capacity development packages for local governments on planning and management of local SDG actions.
- Support project implementation and replication of experiences of local governments within the UNDP network of Country Office supporting municipalities globally.
- Responding to specific demands from UNDP Country Offices for information regarding SDG local implementation, including innovative basic service delivery though research, elaboration of policy documents and compilation of ready-to use information to support project implementation.
- Collect information about how local and regional governments are innovating in basic service delivery, strategic and urban planning, municipal management and finance, local infrastructure development and assets, etc. for informed decision making at local level.
- Guide beneficiary UNDP cities in capacity gap assessment, need identification and implementation of capacity development activities.
- Provide back-up to the project operations team, including additional support to procurement processes including preparation and management of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Support the Operations Specialist in their day-to-day implementation of the project: ensuring that all activities are prepared in a timely manner and implemented in accordance with stated outcomes and performance indicators;
- Assist the Operations Specialist to prepare and timely submission of technical and progress reports to the donor, partners, and UNDP;
- Assist the Operations Specialist supervision of the project team, including leave monitoring and regular reporting.
The Planning and Capacity Development Analyst will report to the Operations and Quality Assurance Specialist, based in Bonn (Germany), working closely with UNDP Country Office in Rwanda.
|Achieve Results:||Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work.|
|Think Innovatively:||Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking.|
|Learn Continuously:||Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning.|
|Adapt with Agility:||Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process.|
|Act with Determination:||Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously.|
|Engage and Partner:||Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships.|
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion:||Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considres in decision making.|
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
|Business Direction & Strategy||Strategic Thinking|
|Business Development||Knowledge Generation|
|Business Management||Results-based Management|
|Digital and Innovation||Innovation Capacity Building|
|Audit & Investigation||Procurement Concepts, Processes & Management|
|HR People Strategy and Planning||Organization Design and Development|
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
Min. Education requirements
Min. years of relevant work experience
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
The following documents shall be required from the participants:
- Personal CV - indicating all part positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) references.
- Cover letter - indicating why the candidate considers him/herself to be suitable for the position.