UN Women is the United Nations entity dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to ensure that the standards are effectively implemented and truly benefit women and girls worldwide. It works globally to make the vision of the Sustainable Development Goals a reality for women and girls and stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on four strategic priorities:
- Women lead, participate in and benefit equally from governance systems
- Women have income security, decent work and economic autonomy
- All women and girls live a life free from all forms of violence
- Women and girls contribute to and have greater influence in building sustainable peace and resilience, and benefit equally from the prevention of natural disasters and conflicts and humanitarian action
UN Women also coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality, and in all deliberations and agreements linked to the 2030 Agenda. The entity works to position gender equality as fundamental to the Sustainable Development Goals, and a more inclusive world.
Currently, UN Women is also providing technical support on gender to various ministries and departments of Government of India for G20 Presidency related work. Idea is to mainstream gender into the priority issues identified by different Working Groups and Engagements Groups set up by Government of India.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Description of Responsibilities & Learning Objectives:
Research, Knowledge Management & Documentation:
- Provide concurrent research and documentation support for ongoing and future initiatives and briefing notes, particularly to support the technical work UN Women is doing with Govt of India on G20;
- Conduct desk reviews of documents and prepare summary of findings on various sectoral/thematic issues related to gender equality in India;
- Collate and organize knowledge resources and facilitate dissemination of resources;
- Review and edit submitted knowledge products such as narrative reports, research reports, evaluation reports etc. for projects;
- Support the development of various guidelines for staff members.
Coordination and Project Management Support:
- Facilitate data and information collection in close collaboration with the programme managers;
- Assist in documentation and reporting on G 20 related activities;
- Participate in meetings with UN Women, with government partners and other stakeholders and prepare notes/meeting minutes.
Communications and Advocacy:
- Support the G20 team lead in planning, organizing and documenting for events organized under G20 and/or events organized by UN Women for international days;
- Assist in preparation of knowledge resources, communications, presentations and background material for internal and external use, including fact sheets on thematic issues as well as state specific content for websites and social media;
- Coordinate with the Communications Officer on press releases, opinion pieces and social media messaging;
- Draft/and or conduct interviews and collect quotes from partners, and/or at workshops and events.
- Undertake ongoing research and process documentation for the G 20 team supported by UN Women, including research reports, briefing notes and programme narratives;
- Production of stories, knowledge resources, presentations, and background material for internal and external use;
- Support advocacy efforts with the organisation of events;
- Produce press, media and advocacy related material, such as press releases, social media messages, factsheets and knowledge materials;
- Compilation of interviews and quotes from partners;
- Quality edits provided to knowledge and communications products.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Strong commitment to gender equality and the empowerment of women, with demonstrated experience of researching or working on gender issues;
- Strong research and writing skills, with strong analytical skills and creative thinking;
- Ability to think and work logically and work precisely with attention to detail;
- Initiative, sound judgment and demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities;
- Ability to produce quality deliverables in a timely manner;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: international development, gender studies, social sciences, law or other subject relevant to this position, at the university level or other relevant subjects is required.
- Have graduated with a university degree in last two years or be enrolled in a postgraduate professional degree/ traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required.
- Interns will receive a stipend from UN Women for the duration of the internship as per UN Women norms.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates;
- Successful candidate will be required to provide proof of enrollment in a valid health insurance plan at the duty station of the internship, proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID and a copy of a valid visa (as applicable).
An Interview process will be followed for selection of Interns.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.