The UN Capital Development Fund makes public and private finance work for the poor in the world’s 46 least developed countries (LDCs).
UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
UNCDF pursues innovative financing solutions through: (1) financial inclusion, which expands the opportunities for individuals, households, and small and medium-sized enterprises to participate in the local economy, while also providing differentiated products for women and men so they can climb out of poverty and manage their financial lives; (2) local development finance, which shows how fiscal decentralization, innovative municipal finance, and structured project finance can drive public and private funding that underpins local economic expansion, women’s economic empowerment, climate adaptation, and sustainable development; and (3) a least developed countries investment platform that deploys a tailored set of financial instruments to a growing pipeline of impactful projects in the “missing middle.’’
UNCDF is seeking an intern to be part of the Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU) in its Headquarters located in New York, United States. Working under the guidance and supervision of the Data Analyst in the PMSU Unit, the intern will support the ongoing workplan and goals of the unit, including but not limited to maintaining existing Power Platforms Applications, deploying automatic tools, testing data before the migration to the new ERP, preparing technical and functional documentation.
The internship manager is committed to providing the intern with the training, guidance and support necessary to complete the below duties and responsibilities effectively and within the internship period.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Under the supervision of the Data Analyst in the PMSU Unit, the intern will assist in any of the following tasks:
- Support to develop dynamic reports;
- Support to maintain existing tools;
- Support to facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
1. Dynamic reports development:
- Support the analysis of business requirements to design, develop and update corporate reporting Dashboards;
- Develop dashboards and visualizations for UNCDF colleagues and provide user support;
- Support the Data Analyst in preparing data, data models;
- Contribute to identifying data quality issues;
- Prepare the technical documentation;
- Organize and conduct trainings.
2. Existing Platform deployment and maintenance:
- Assist in deploying existing mobile applications;
- Support users;
- Fix minor troubleshooting.
3. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing:
- Organization and conduct of trainings on existing tools/reports;
- Preparation of training materials (functional documentation, presentations, videos, ..);
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Identification and formulation of lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts;
- Support data mining, optimization, metrics development, and predictive analysis;
- Prepare research on innovative technology products driven by data and analytics that contribute to improve operational support.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UNCDF in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff.
- Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Demonstrates an intellectual curiosity and deep desire to learn.
- Demonstrates a consistent commitment to pro-actively helping fellow members of the PMSU Unit and UNCDF more broadly in their day-to-day activities to the reasonable extent possible.
- Demonstrates strong writing skills, particularly the ability to present persuasive, coherent and well-founded arguments.
- Demonstrates ability to write in a style that is accessible to a broad audience
- Demonstrates drive to achieve results in timely manner and to seek and find solutions to any problems encountered.
- Demonstrates ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to convert complex and abstract ideas into simple visual concepts.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to work in a multicultural environment and be aware of political sensitivities.
- The ability in using data to advance decisions, strategies, and execution is desirable.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
Applicants to the UNCDF internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher) in Business Administration, Information Technology, Data Management, Computer Science, Data Analytics and Visualization or related field;
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
- Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
Desirable Skillset & Experience:
- Skills using data processing & data visualization software (at a minimum: Microsoft Excel, PowerBI , with bonus points for SQL, R, Python);
- Experience creating presentations, creating excel files and writing papers that capture complex concepts and put them into simple language;
- Experience in working on finance transactions or in an investment bank will be an added advantage;
- Curious, self-starter; organized; able to multitask, balance multiple responsibilities, and work to deadline.
- Fluency in English required. Professional fluency knowledge of French language is considered as a distinct advantage.
General Internships Terms & Conditions:
- UNCDF Internship programme is governed by the UNDP Internship Policy Framework and Rules.
- Under the new revised UNDP Internship Policy, UNCDF will provide a modest monthly internship stipend to its interns, in accordance with the provisions of the UNDP Internship Policy. All expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the Intern or her/his sponsoring entity/institution. Stipends are available only for full-time and part-time internships at this time.
- Selected Interns must be able to share proof of education enrolment and/ or graduation, medical/ health and life/accident insurance valid for the location in which the internship will be carried out and be able to provide insurance documentary proof at the time of their selection;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNCDF but to complement an Intern’s studies and learning growth
- There is no expectation of employment at the end of these internships.
- In your application, please state in one paragraph why you would like to be considered for the internship and your primary motivation to apply for this role;
- Please submit your CV/Resume in PDF format along with a copy of a self created individual presentation and a research paper or another write-up to assess writing skills;
- Please submit your Resume/CV and an application using the UNCDF Internship Application form: http://www.uncdf.org/download/file/127/2509/internshipdoc
- Applicants are welcome to submit any additional work samples or portfolios in one single file, preferably PDF;
- Please note that the UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents (CV/ Resume, Cover Letter etc. into a single file before uploading).
- Interested candidates can apply at any time indicating the timeframe of their availability in the internship form. However, only those candidates selected for interviews/ further assessment by hiring managers will be contacted.