UN Women, the United Nations entity for gender equality and the empowerment of women, was created to accelerate progress towards the fulfillment of their rights around the world. UN Women assists UN member states in setting international norms and standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to develop laws, policies, programs, and services needed to implement these standards.
UN Women actively promotes the equal participation of women in all spheres of life, focusing on five priority areas of action: strengthening women's leadership and participation in society; elimination of violence against women; involvement of women in solving the whole range of issues of ensuring peace and security; empowering women in the economy; ensuring the central role of gender equality in national development planning and budgeting processes. UN Women also coordinates work to promote gender equality throughout the UN system.
On December 24, 2021, the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan approved its resolutions on measures to implement the resolutions 1325 (2000), 1820, 1888, 1889, 1960, 2106, 2122, 2242, 2467, adopted by the United Nations Security Council on the equal and full participation of women in the prevention and resolution of conflicts, ensuring peace and security, prevention of violence against women, raising awareness, strengthening interaction with civil society in conflict prevention and protection of women for 2022-2025.
According to this Plan, leadership trainings are planned for women serving in military, including law enforcement agencies, as well as peacekeeping units with the involvement of departmental educational institutions of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, GP, MO, Ministry of Emergency Situations in 2022 (paragraph 14 of the Plan).
UN Women in Kazakhstan, together with the National Commission for Women, Family and Demographic Policy under the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter referred to as the National Commission), with the support of the Ministry of Information and Social Development of the Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter referred to as the Ministry), is implementing a project within the framework of a related grant “Assistance to Kazakhstan in the implementation of the Concept of Family and Gender Policy, in terms of ensuring gender equality and empowering all women and girls in Kazakhstan and overcoming the consequences of the crisis of the COVID-19 pandemic” for the period 2022-2024.
Within theproject’s first component, UN Women plans to hire National Consultant and Training Facilitator to organize 3 training seminars in Aktobe, Karagandy and for law enforcement and peacekeepers staff within framework of commitments of Kazakhstan according to UN Security Council Resolution 1325.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women Project Manager, the National Consultants will be responsible for the following key objectives:
- Analysis and evaluation of updated international and national legislation in the field of women's rights, gender equality, protection from gender discrimination and gender-based violence;
- Development of presentation materials based on results of analysis and evaluation of international and national legislation in the field of women's rights, gender equality, protection from gender discrimination and gender-based violence;
- Development of one interactive seminar for 3 hours "Women's leadership in the context of the UN Security Council 1325” for female military personnel, law enforcement agencies, as well as peacekeeping units.
- Organization and conducting 3 seminars "Women's leadership in the context of the UN Security Council 1325 for female servicemen and other law enforcement agencies, as well as peacekeeping units in Aktobe, Kokshetau and Karaganda including: invitation and selection of the participants from national bodies (after UN Women approval), agenda, pre-training testing, facilitation on training seminar, evaluation of the training after the event with feedback from participants.
- Holding consultations during three seminars on UN Security Council Resolution 1325 in Aktobe, Karagandy and Kokshetau after till the end dates of contract;
- Preparing and collecting surveys for seminar participants to make recommendations on amendments to national legislation on the agenda "Woman, peace, security";
- Preparation of the final report on conducted trainings with the developed recommendations.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- University Degree in social or pedagogical sciences, gender studies, public administration, international relations, law and international law, public policy or related fields.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the development of training programs on gender issues in post-conflict situations;
- Prior work experience in conducting and facilitating to seminars for state law enforcement, military and/or peacekeeping officers.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken Russian, knowledge of Kazakh language is an advantage.
Package of documents for consideration (all documents shall be combined and attached as one file)
- A letter explaining interest in this position;
- Completed and signed form P11 (form available at http://eca.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment). Applicants without completed P11 forms will be categorized as non-complete applicants and will not be eligible for further evaluation;
- Financial Proposal* in Kazakhstani Tenge, including the total requested amount required to complete all tasks under this Terms of Reference.
- Providing the results of similar work, letters of recommendation from the organization with whom you previously collaborated.