Candidates who previously applied need not re-apply.
Under the guidance of immediate supervision the Country Director, the Programme Manager-Energy and Environment will be responsible for the management of UNDP-GEF Energy and Climate Change, the largest portfolio of UNDP in South Africa. He/she will ensure that the objectives of the Climate Change and Greening South Africa’s Economy Component are implemented
The UNDP Country Office is responsible for developing and managing the UNDP Country Programme to ensure that the programme outputs are delivered as planned, contributing to the achievement of programme outcomes as per Strategic Cooperation Framework (SCF 2013-2017) and the Country Programme Document (CPD 2013-2017) as agreed with national counterparts.
The Programme on Environment and Energy in the UNDP Country Office supports the South African Government in policy development and implementation, capacity building and institutional strengthening in project and programme development, implementation and monitoring. The Energy and Environment Specialist is responsible for overall oversight, management and support of Global Environment Facility (GEF), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and other UNDP funded projects in South Africa as well as other energy and biodiversity related initiatives at global and regional levels.
UNDP works in collaboration with the National Department of Environmental Affairs as the GEF Operational Focal Point. The Department has entities that are also key partners and they include the South African Biodiversity Institute (SANBI), South African National Parks (SANParks) and the South African Weather Service. Another key partner is the Department of Energy and its entities, including the South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI) and the Central Energy Fund. UNDP also collaborates with Parliament, Provincial and local Governments, donors, private sector, civil society and academia.
Deberes y responsabilidades
Ensures the strategic direction of UNDP Energy and Environment programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In collaboration with the GEF/UNDP Regional Technical Advisors, project managers, members of the Programme Support Team (PST) and other programme Managers, support and provide oversight and management of GEF-funded Energy and climate change Projects and related Country Programme Action Plan Projects. Specific duties will include project conceptualisation, development, implementation and monitoring and evaluation in the area of Energy and climate change (including Sustainable Transport);
- Identification of strategic areas of cooperation;
- Operationalization of the Strategic Cooperation Framework (SCF) in collaboration with the main partners and other UN Agencies. Identification of possibilities for joint programming;
- Analysis and presentation of UNDP policies and their implementation in the CO.
Ensures effective management of the Energy and Climate Change portfolio and supervision of the Environment team focusing on quality control of the full cycle of programming from formulation to implementation achieving the following results:
Timely project conceptualization and development:
- Consult and hold meetings with Government and other partner organisations to identify national priorities and conceptualise GEF, GCF and other donor funded and CPAP projects;
- In collaboration with GEF RTAs, develop project Concept Notes, Project Identification Forms and GEF CEO Endorsement Requests;
- Follow up on Letters of Endorsement (LoEs) with the GEF OFP and other partners;
- Attend meetings related to Government policy and investment initiatives;
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of programmes and projects, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact of the CO programme and evaluation. Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme;
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported;
- Quality review of aggregate reports regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports where applicable.
Ensures provision of top quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to energy, environment and climate change;
- Coordination of development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners;
- Establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linked to international networks;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
- Performed analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level;
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building support and political acumen;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Building and promoting effective teams;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Habilidades y experiencia requeridas
- Master’s degree in energy, engineering, physical science or climate change related fields. Experience in project design and implementation.
- 7 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization in a multi-cultural setting, of which 3 or more years of senior-level management responsibilities of similar size and complexity.
- Good command of English is a requirement.
Qualified women are encouraged to apply.