MONITORING AND EVALUATION OFFICER
|Application Deadline :||31-Jan-13|
|Type of Contract :||FTA Local|
|Post Level :||NO-B|
|Languages Required :||
|Duration of Initial Contract :||One year|
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) has been identified by the humanitarian community in Somalia as a major issue of concern that needs to be addressed. The lack of access has forced most agencies to implement their programmes by remote management. The lack of reliable data on humanitarian assistance delivery and its impact on beneficiaries is increasingly being cited by the donors as a reason for limited funding.
The Common Humanitarian Fund has defined a new Monitoring, Reporting and capacity assessment framework and the strategy will be put in place in 2013. The work is as a result of wide consultations with the different stakeholders including UN Agencies and NGO’s. 200 projects implemented by more than 110 partners are funded on a yearly basis in all different sectors in all-over Somalia for a total of 100 million USD per year.
The creation of this post and the implementation of the proposed strategy is considered an important part of the on-going efforts of the Somalia operation as a whole to enhance its accountability.
It is envisaged that the M&E Officer will work closely with the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Funding Unit. She/he will also work closely with the IMU and PI Units which are currently responsible for reporting and data tracking. She/he will report to the Deputy Humanitarian Funding Unit in charge of the M&E.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies
- Ensuring quality and accountability of monitoring
- Information Management
- Provision of support to the Clusters
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
Implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies for CHF, ERF and CERF projects in Somalia
- Overall responsibility for the monitoring strategy and its successful implementation
- Monitor progress and effects of the humanitarian response against the strategic priorities as well as promote and support quality assurance of CHF funded projects.
- Support the Clusters to monitor the progress and effect of the CHF funded projects and their coherence with the cluster response plans defined in the CAP.
- Facilitate monitoring of cross cutting issues by all stakeholders at all levels.
- Coordinate the monitoring process
- Assist the Unit to develop evaluation plans when requested
Ensuring quality and accountability of monitoring
- Ensure the standards and systems used to deliver quality and accountable services and monitoring reports include information on levels of compliance achieved against standards and indicators.
- Analyse lessons learned for quality and accountability.
- Promote monitoring, evaluations and audits as means of guiding and supporting agencies implementing CHF funded projects.
- Propose and facilitate external reviews/evaluations as agreed by the clusters and CHF Advisory Board
- Support agencies and clusters to seek innovative methods for remote management and monitoring to improve accountability.
- Oversee the design of the OCHA database for CHF projects and facilitate its establishment.
- Liaise with Clusters to provide and access data. Aggregate data across clusters.
- In close collaboration with OCHA’s IMU develop visual products and maps in order to provide an effective service to cluster members and the humanitarian community as a whole (incl. webpage updates).
- Establish strong working relationships with key actors in other agencies dealing with monitoring and evaluation and indicators in order to facilitate effective collaboration and communication.
Provision of technical support to the Clusters:
- Provide technical support to each of the nine Clusters to monitor and evaluate the defined Cluster objectives and specific CHF success indicators and targets.
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Cluster Coordinators/Chairs and Cluster Support Officers to develop simple and value-adding monitoring strategies and tools.
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Clusters in the identification of current monitoring methodologies used by the Clusters and identify good practices.
- Provide technical support/guidance to the Clusters in monitoring and reporting responsibilities ensuring coherence with existing reporting requirements.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
- Identify and formulate monitoring and evaluation findings, lessons learned and recommendations to be integrated into management efforts, disseminated in learning events and channeled into decision-making processes;
- Contribute to the implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation Knowledge Management and Learning Strategy.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations on monitoring and evaluation issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of OCHA interventions and activities in providing Humanitarian assistance. Effective implementations of evaluation policies and strategies, as well as efficient organization and coordination of the evaluation process, enhance the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.v
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
Innovation and Marketing new approaches
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery.
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related social sciences.
- 3 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Experience with new monitoring tools such as remote call monitoring, aerial photography, SMS campaign, mobile money monitoring, biometry will be an asset
- Previous experience in Humanitarian Coordination and thorough knowledge of the cluster system will be an asset
- Fluency both in oral and written English
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.