UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts.
UN Women’s India Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, works to accelerate the advancement of gender equality and the empowerment of women through the strengthening of strategic partnerships, technical and policy advisory services and advocacy with governmental, inter-governmental and civil society partners. In addition, UN Women India CO is charged with leading and coordinating the UN system’s work on gender equality, including through ensuring accountability for results.
Achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment is an essential element of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – the roadmap to a more equal, just, peaceful, and sustainable world. UN Women is implementing a catalytic accelerator project for achieving women’s social, economic, and political equality and empowerment and the 2030 agenda. The overarching objective of the proposed project is: To accelerate progress on the 2030 agenda, especially SDG 5, by strengthening women’s leadership in the areas of economic, social, and political rights. The project is being implemented in India over three years. More specifically, the proposed outcome of the project are:
- Increased awareness and ownership of the global Generation Equality agenda, especially its constituted action coalitions related to economic justice and rights and gender based violence, are visible in (i) more formal and regular engagement between government, Civil Society Organisations, private sector, and media on these themes and (ii) establishment of state-level chapters/platforms for engagement; and Gender intentional policies and programs on skilling, and employees informed and scaled up by the government;
- Gender intentional policies and programs (especially related to safety, and mobility) informed and scaled up by the government, focused on two key policies (i) Smart and Safe cities, (ii) One Stop Centers for addressing violence against women;
- Strengthened institutional mechanisms for GRB resulting in an increase of gender in budgets, improved availability of data, and tracking of progress on gender equality initiatives across select ministries and all states/UTs; and
- G20 Summit prioritizes gender equality across tracks - Improved awareness and capacities across Indian decision makers on gender equality impacting the stronger implementation of gender-just laws.
Embedded within the project, and UN Women’s core work towards promoting women’s role in peace building, intergovernmental processes, UN interagency coordination, this position plays a central role to deliver on UN Women’s normative functions and strengthens linkages between normative work and operational activities. It contributes to the Entity’s support for the development and strengthening of a comprehensive set of global norms, policies and standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment that is dynamic, responds to new and emerging issues, challenges and opportunities and is applied through action by Governments and other stakeholders at all levels. The role also has special responsibility for the coordination of support to intergovernmental and expert bodies and across the UN system in India.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Deputy Representative, the Programme Analyst exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions under his/her portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Devoirs et responsabilités
Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the areas of Generation Equality Forum (GEF):
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the GEF Programme:
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners:
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities; Develop technical knowledge products;
- Maintain relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the GEF programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the project:
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results-based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the GEF Programme:
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports.
Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies:
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on GEF to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country:
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts:
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to the GEF Programme;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on GEF Programme.
Impact of Results:
The post has an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic areas, which impact in turn on the overall effectiveness of the UN Women programme in the India CO. By helping ensure effective design, planning, implementation, and M&E of assigned sectorial/thematic areas, and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.
Core Values/Guiding Principles
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects;
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focusing on impact and result for the client and responding positively to feedback;
- Model and promote transparency, honesty and openness;
- Lead teams effectively, demonstrating emotional intelligence and good judgment. Good mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrate understanding of client’s perspective;
- Demonstrate a respect for confidentiality when dealing with individual staff members issues.
Qualifications et expériences requises
- Master’s degree in International Development, Gender, Human Rights, Applied Anthropology, or in other related Social Sciences.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the area of GEF is an asset;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Working knowledge of Hindi will be an asset.
Application Information: Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.